Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The MikeFeed -- December 2, 2008

My friend Mike is an omnivorous speed reader with enormous mental bandwidth. Through the course of the day, I get *many* e-mails from him -- each one containing a (usually) provocative subject line, and a link to an article. Mike provides enough material to keep a blog going for weeks, every day. The only reason I don't use more material that he sends me is because, well dammit, this might as well then be HIS blog.

Today, in a brief exchange of e-mail, I made a disparaging comment about BoingBoing being like the Reader's Digest of the internet. Mike thought we could do better, and I agreed. Just for fun, I thought I would summarize some of today's links from Mike and provide some (limited) commentary. I've tried to organize these by topic, but keep in mind that I get these in no particular order.

Canadian Politics

Luminosis has never been overtly a political blog, but politics is one of the few modern day acceptable blood sports. It is impossible not to be affected by politics. As a politics junkie, the events unfolding in Ottawa are pretty interesting. History will be made here, if the Opposition parties have the balls (and the capacity for the hard work) to put together a coalition to take down the Conservatives.

TheStar.com - Harper to blame for political crisis
Reuters - Canadian government slams opposition coup plan
adamyoshida.com: How I Triggered a Constitutional Crisis - this is a blogger, new to me. One of the great things about being on Mike's distribution list is that I get stuff that I would likely never find myself. This one strikes me as a wingnut who created a blog just to rant about the current situation -- as of today, there is only one entry on that blog -- no history.
Metafilter - Greatest histories written in the toughest times
Canada victim of power-grabbing politicians
Metafilter items often have great comments -- the above two are no exception.

PoliticalFilter - Canada coalition deal inches ever closer
- Hmmm -- must look at the rest of PoliticalFilter.
Tories begin battle against coalition


American Politics

The GOP's "God Problem," Part Two


The Economy

Because we're all getting hit by some aspect of the economy today...

Auto execs prepare for second run at Washington - MarketWatch

Synthetic CDO's: tsunami event when major bankruptcies reaches 9


Game Tech

It is an article of faith with me that the ultimate motivation for all geekness is video games.
Shot of Xbox 360's 256MB internal storage
Best of 2008: Top 5 Wii Games
When Video Game Weapons Attack In Real Life


Tech

BitTorrent Will Destroy The Interwebs!
Boeing Airborne Laser Weapon Fires for the First Time
gOS Cloud - From zero to web browser in just a few seconds
Steam Linux on the way?
Linux Evolution Reveals Origins of Curious Mathematical Phenomenon
Vietnamese security firm: Your face is easy to fake


Science

Jupiter, Venus and Moon to form frown in evening sky
Planet Found Orbiting Puffed-Up Star


Photography

50 Stunning Examples Of Reflective Photography
Photography, and the Tolerance for Courageous Sucking


Pop Culture

Five New Wolverine Photos


Weird Stuff and Humour

Holy Book of Bacon
6 Baby Names You Probably Shouldn't Give Your Kid
World War 2 as an animated GIF using an online game metaphor
Prayer vs. hard work checklist
Cracked - 7 Historical Figures Who Were Absurdly Hard To Kill
Found On Craigslist: Nissan Ninja Hauler Kicks Ass


What I learned from doing this post is that Mike sends me a *lot* of links. This post only contains a fraction of one day's worth!

Processing all those e-mails into a blog post regularly requires some way of autogenerating the HTML -- I need to grab the Subject line and the URL stored in the body of the e-mail, while at the same time avoiding text.

No comments: