These photos were taken in the morning and mid-afternoon of July 17, 2005.
Back in the 1960s and '70s, when it was Wonowon Services rather than Hall's, it was owned by the Close family. The Lum family lived in part of the hotel when my parents operated the restaurant here.
Thanks to Laurie Dowd for sending the news, and providing a link to Moose-FM for news updates.
Wonowon is located on the Alaska Highway. In this link to an article in the Vancouver Sun, there is mention of closing the highway. The Moose-FM piece indicates that the highway was closed in both directions for five hours. From the Sun article:
A local state of emergency was declared Friday in the northern B.C. village of Wonowon after fire broke out at a hotel and gas station.
Most residents of the community, which has a population of about 200, were ordered evacuated because of fears propane and gasoline tanks in the filling station attached to the hotel might explode.
The RCMP also closed the Alaska Highway that runs through the village.
Evacuees from the village, which used to be called Blueberry, were taken to Fort St. John, about 100 kilometres to the south.
Witnesses say everyone safely escaped the burning building without injury.
The tiny community has no fire protection so the building was allowed to burn itself out.
UPDATE - Laurie went up to Wonowon with Dave and Hattie on Sunday the 27th. She sent the following pictures and gave permission to post them here. The damage looks like it is total -- very sad.