Tuesday, June 09, 2009

On The Beach

SF readers will recognize "On The Beach" as the title of a Neville Shute novel from the 1960s about the bleak aftermath of a nuclear war. To be "on the beach" is also a euphemism used by contractors and consultants to describe being between assignments, which is my current situation. My client, a company operating in the automotive finance industry, chose not to extend my contract past May 29.

The analogy between Shute's landscape of nuclear devastation and the current economic environment is uncomfortably close. However, I have prospects -- I have had talks with potential clients that have been maddeningly elusive in terms of materializing into anything solid. Note to self - need to work on closing deals. Also a reminder -- change is good. And things could be worse -- I could have been an auto worker.

So, time to clear up and organize some things, and think about what to do next. In the meantime, find doors, and push on them.

No comments: